This unit describes the skills and knowledge required to perform cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) in line with the Australian Resuscitation Council (ARC) Guidelines.
This unit applies to all workers who may be required to provide CPR, in a range of situations, including community and workplace settings.
Elements and Performance Criteria
1. Respond to an Emergency Situation
- Recognise and Emergency Situation
- Identify, assess and minimise immediate hazards to health and safety of self and others
- Assess the casualty and recognise the need for CPR
- Seek assistance from emergency response services
2. Perform CPR Procedures
- Perform cardiopulmonary resuscitation in accordance with ARC guidelines
- Display respectful behavior towards casualty
- Operate automated external defibrillator (AED) according to manufacturer's instructions
3. Communicate Details of the Incident
- Accurately convey incident details to emergency response services
- Report details of incident to workplace supervisor as appropriate
- Maintain confidentiality of record and information in line with statutory and/or organisational policies