This unit of competency describes the skills and knowledge required to safely handle, transport and store chemicals.
The unit applies to individuals who work under broad direction and take responsibility for their own work. They use discretion and judgement in the selection, allocation and use of available resources and for solving problems.
Elements and Performance Criteria
1. Prepare to handle and transport chemicals
- Identify health and safety hazards, assess risks and implement controls according to workplace procedures
- Ensure contact details for emergency services are available in transport vehicle according to workplace procedures and transport regulations
- Ensure transport vehicle complies with transport regulations
- Ensure containers are secured, protected and in a condition to be safely transported according to workplace procedures, manufacturer instructions, legislative and regulatory requirements
- Ensure emergency equipment and procedures are available in the vehicle according to workplace safety procedures and regulations
- Ensure transport arrangements comply with legislative and regulatory requirements for the transport of hazardous substances and dangerous goods
- Obtain and use safety data sheets (SDS) for chemicals to be transported according to health and safety in the workplace procedures and legislative and regulatory requirements
2. Handle and transport chemicals
- Handle, transport and load chemicals according to chemical safety data information, chemical label, legislative and regulatory requirements
- Carry out emergency procedures according to chemical label, SDS and workplace procedures
- Report transport incidents according to workplace procedures and health and safety in the workplace regulations
3. Store chemicals in the workplace
- Select, ensure serviceability, fit and use personal protective equipment according to SDS and chemical label instructions
- Identify chemical storage requirements and store chemicals according to chemical label, safety data information and health and safety in the workplace procedures
- Maintain storage area according to legislative and regulatory requirements, health and safety in the workplace and environmental procedures.
- Dispose of chemicals and chemical waste according to chemical label instructions and environmental regulations
- Monitor chemical expiration dates and dispose of expired chemicals according to chemical label instructions, workplace and legislative and regulatory requirements
4. Record storage details
- Maintain register of stored chemicals and SDS according to workplace procedures and legislative and regulatory requirements
- Report storage incidents according to legislative and regulatory requirements and workplace procedures