This unit of competency describes the outcomes required to operate a mobile chipping or mulching unit to chip or mulch timber refuse such as branches and other timber waste left after felling operations. Work is completed in a forest or forest farm setting.
The unit applies to those who operate a mobile chipping or mulching unit in a forest environment.
Elements and Performance Criteria
1. Prepare for mobile chipping or mulching
- Review work order and where required check with appropriate personnel.
- Select appropriate personal protective and other equipment and check for operational effectiveness.
- Identify type and quantity of timber refuse to be chipped or mulched.
- Plan chipping or mulching activities in line with work order.
2. Chip or mulch timber refuse
- Reject timber refuse assessed as unsuitable for chipping or mulching and dispose of or recycle in line with environmental protection practices.
- Use equipment in line with organisational safety procedures, manufacturer’s instructions and environmental protection requirements.
- Position, secure and set up chipping and mulching unit in line with manufacturer's specifications and required size.
- Direct timber refuse into chipper or mulcher at rate applicable to machine capacity.
- Chip timber refuse to chip sizes specified in work order.
- Respond to critical situations requiring emergency shutdown to prevent personal injury or damage to machine or product.
3. Complete operator maintenance
- Follow organisational safety procedures to lock out equipment.
- Check cutters for wear and damage at appropriate or recommended intervals.
- Remove, replace and dispose of cutters in line with manufacturer’s recommendations, site procedures and environmental protection practices.
- Complete operator maintenance tasks in line with manufacturer’s recommendations and site procedures.
- Record and report production outcomes and equipment faults to appropriate personnel.