This unit of competency describes the outcomes required to trim high branches reachable with a power driven pole saw and to promote tree growth by trimming and felling excess branches.
Power driven pole saw in this unit refers to professional standard pole-mounted chain saws that are typically fuel types, but may be battery powered, and generally telescopic.
It applies to those who operate a pole saw in a forest environment and includes equipment maintenance.
Elements and Performance Criteria
1. Prepare for trimming
- Identify and follow WHS, environmental, legal and organisational requirements for operating a pole saw.
- Review work order and clarify with appropriate personnel.
- Select equipment appropriate to work requirements and check for serviceable condition in line with manufacturer recommendations.
- Carry out pre-startup checks of pole saw in line with site requirements.
- Establish and maintain communication with others to ensure safety.
2. Assess trees
- Identify and assess tree type, location and stability for safe working conditions.
- Plan the trim of a tree in line with site procedures and environmental conditions.
- Identify trees unable to be trimmed safely and refer to appropriate personnel.
- Determine whether the height of the branch is within safe reach when using the pole saw
- Establish general falling direction of branches and limbs to be trimmed and identify clear escape route.
3. Trim trees
- Trim accessible branches and knots to specifications in line with manufacturer recommendations and organisational safe work practices for angle and height allowances.
- Monitor movement and whereabouts of other personnel to ensure work site is safe.
- Undertake sequence of cuts to trim tree branches.
- Operate pole saw in line with safety regulations, adjusting technique in response to condition of the tree.
- Diagnose unexpected characteristics of a tree during trimming operations and review tree assessment if required.
- Complete cutting once initiated, to minimise splitting.
- Clear cut branches from the site in line with standard operating procedures and environmental requirements.
- Record and report trimming activity.
4. Conduct operator maintenance
- Follow lock-out procedures in line with WHS legislation and site procedures.
- Inspect condition of saw and other equipment on completion of trimming activities.
- Remove, sharpen, adjust or replace chain and other components, in line with manufacturer recommendations.
- Recycle, re-use or dispose of blunt or damaged chain and other components in line with environmental requirements.
- Clear pole saw of dust, shavings and debris and check to make sure it meets relevant operational standards.
- Record and report equipment faults and maintenance activity.